Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Really Useful SharePoint Designer Workflows

Switching gears to work stuff this morning…

CodePlex is a repository of open source code similar to Source Forge, and features a lot of code projects for Microsoft stuff. One of my favorite things form there is the Useful Sharepoint designer workflow activities (that’s a mouthful) or SPDActivities for short. This extends the built in workflow activities you can select when creating custom workflows from within SharePoint designer (which you’d be using if you were fairly serious about custom workflows, but not quite a developer using Visual Studio).

SPDActivities adds some, well, useful functionality that should be built into SharePoint out of the box. There are several including some Infopath stuff that I don’t really use. There are a few of the activities I just can live without.

My personal faves let you tinker with list item permissions, start a different workflow from within your work flow, and copy list items to lists that aren’t even on the same subsite (or even application or farm).

I tend to get completely lost if I start trying to build workflows on a farm where I haven’t installed these extensions.

http://spdactivities.codeplex.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment